- In the left navigation pane, in the Library Explorer, select the folder into which you wish to import the objects, and then choose Import > Author-it > XML. The Select file to import window opens.
- Browse to the correct folder, select the XML file and choose Open.
- Author analyzes the XML file, and displays the Object Mapping window.
Mapping logic: When an object is first created, Author assigns that object a GUID (Globally Unique Identifier). This GUID is unique to that object, but if two objects exist in different libraries and share the same Object ID, they can still be recognized as being unique.
- Author looks at the GUID of each object, and if an existing object is found with the same GUID, it is automatically checked against the Mapped Object in the Import XML window. If you continue the XML import, Author-it will overwrite the existing object with the equivalent information in the XML file.
If a match is not found, Author maps to (New Object) and a new object is created from the information in the XML file.
- To change the mapping, click in the Mapped Object field so that the [...] button is visible.
Click the button to open the Select an Object window.
Select the object that you wish to overwrite, or choose (New Object).
- To map all objects to new objects, right-click and choose "Map All to new Objects".
- To exclude an object, clear the check box.
Note: Some check boxes may display yellow or red highlighting. Consider these objects carefully! Yellow highlighting indicates objects that are commonly used, such as TOC or Index objects. Rather than creating new ones, it is good practice to share the same ones across your library.
Red highlighting indicates that you do not have permission to overwrite the object. If you attempt to check a red box, a warning appears advising that you don't have access permissions to overwrite the object, and that a new object will be created.
- When you are satisfied that the object mapping is correct, choose Next to continue.
- The Object Relation Mapping window appears. This window lists all objects that are related to those being imported, including Object templates, Media objects, Styles, and Topics that are targets of hyperlinks.
All object relationships must be mapped before you can proceed with the import.
- To change the mapping, click in the Mapped Object field so that the […] button is visible.
- Click the button to open the Select an Object window.
- From this selection window, select the object to which you wish to map the relationship, and then choose OK.
- Repeat until all relationships have been mapped. Choose Next to continue.
- Progress is displayed as the XML is imported, and the objects are created or overwritten as appropriate.