You can choose several options when you resize columns from the ruler:
- To display the ruler, click View > Display > Ruler.
- Position the cursor inside the table that you want to format.
- Drag a column marker on the ruler to resize the column.
- Save your changes.
- Hold down the CTRL key to resize the column to the left of the marker, which changes the total width of the table accordingly. (The same action occurs if no key is held down.)
- Hold down the ALT key and drag a column marker on the ruler to resize the column to the left of the marker, which changes the total width of the table accordingly. While you are resizing the column, the ruler displays the width measurement for each column.
- Hold down the SHIFT key and drag a column marker to resize the columns on both sides of the marker. Using this option does not change the overall width of the two columns; instead, it changes the distribution ratio of the selected columns.
- You can also combine options by holding down both the SHIFT and ALT keys while dragging a column marker. This action resizes the columns on both sides of the marker, without changing the total width of the table.