I have an object that I want in the Word output but not in the HTML. I've based it on the Normal template. I can't uncheck the HTML box to exclude it - it won't allow me to. How do I do this?
When you base an Object on a template, it inherits the properties of that template. Inherited settings (which are shown in blue) cannot be changed, unless you change the template itself.
Don't change the Normal template unless you want ALL your objects based on that template to also be changed (and thereby excluded from your HTML output).
You don't have to base an object on a Template. We recommend it, because it ensures consistency, and means you don't have to set the numerous properties each time you create a new object. If you want the easiest way to keep consistency, try these steps:
- Create your object, and base it on the Normal template.
- Save and close the Topic.
- Right-click and choose Open Properties
- Under the General tab, change the "Base this object on and inherit properties from template" list to "(none)".
- Uncheck the output formats you don't want (eg. HTML).
- Click "Apply" to save your changes
This way you don't have to set each property individually, which will ensure consistency with other objects in your Book that use the Normal template.
Another option is to create a whole new template - this would be useful if you will be excluding objects from the HTML output on a regular basis.