The Help tab includes five tabs that define how the text is formatted in a Windows Online Help system. The properties define font, paragraph, tabs, borders, and bullets and numbering for the selected style.
- Name: choose the font face for the style
- Size: size of the font in points (pt)
- Color: color of the text
- Effects: Bold and/or Italics styles are applied to the text.
- Paragraph indentation: indentation of text from the left and right edges of the Help window, and also sets a special indent for the first line relative to the left indent.
For example, if the left indent is set to "0.5 cm", and the first line to "-0.5 cm", that has the effect of a hanging indent of 0.5cm, with the first line flush with the edge of the Help window.
- Paragraph spacing: choose amount of white space in points, that appear before and after each paragraph in Windows Help, and also set the spacing between individual lines within that paragraph.
Tip: You should never leave empty paragraphs between text to give the effect of white space, instead you should set this space using the spacing.
- Paragraph alignment: choose how the paragraph aligns in relation to the indents from the edge of the Help window.
- Non-wrapping text in paragraphs: specify whether you want non-wrapping text in paragraphs displayed in Help windows. Use this for text such as tabulated values, where wrapping is not necessary.
- Stop List: defines a list of all the tab stops in the paragraph for Windows Help.
To add a new tab stop, type in a new measurement (cm), then click the Set button. To Remove a tab, select it from the list, then click Remove.
- Alignment: choose the type of alignment applied to text using the tab stop selected in the Help Tab Stop List.
- Default Tab Stop: defines a measurement (cm) for the default spacing between tab stops for the style in the Windows Help.
- Style: choose a style for the border around the paragraph in Windows Help.
- Shadow: determine if a shadow is applied to the borders of the paragraph in Windows Help.
- Apply To: determine what sides of the paragraph will have a border applied to them in Windows Help. The Help Border Style sets the type of border to display. You can choose All Sides to set all four sides automatically.
Bullets and Numbering
- Numbering Type: choose the type of numbering applied to the paragraph in Windows Help. The following types are allowed:
- None: no numbering is applied and restarts any numbered paragraphs preceding it.
- Numbered: sequential numbering is applied. This also restarts any numbered paragraphs preceding it with a lower Outline Level.
- Bulleted: places a character before the paragraph. This also restarts any numbered paragraphs preceding it with a lower Outline Level.
- Skip numbering: no numbering is applied, and any numbered paragraphs continue numbering in the following paragraphs. This allows you to have multiple paragraphs for a single numbered point.
- Numbering Style: choose the style of sequential numbering to apply to the paragraph in Windows Help. This is only available when you set the Help Numbering Type to Numbering.
- Numbering Start At: choose the value sequential numbering starts from in Windows Help. This is only available when you set the Help Numbering Type to Numbering. This property is usually set to one.
- Bullet Character: define the bullet character used in Windows Help. This is only available when you set the Help Numbering Type to Bullet.