The following sample structure is for a topic with a table. The content rules for this example define basic topic layout and formatting, the types of paragraphs that are used in this topic, and the table formatting. This example does not include any child rules, as a result there are no restrictions placed on inline content that can be used in the topic (such as images, character styles, hyperlinks, and so on). Validation is based on the layout of the topic (the types of paragraph content and where they are used) and the paragraph level formatting.
Content or style guide rules for the specification topic
- The specification topic must have an opening paragraph to describe the task. There can be up to three short paragraphs for the opening description.
- There must always be a description before the table. The topic must never begin with a table.
- The specification table has two columns. The attribute names are added to the first column and are always formatted with the Sub Heading style. The attribute values are added to the second column and formatted with the Table Text style.
- When it is required, an extra paragraph can be added after the specification table. The paragraph is only used when an entry in the table needs additional clarification.
- Rule 1: Description Paragraph Rule
Allow one to three paragraphs. Location sequence is Fixed - must be used at the start of the topic. Allowed style - Body Text.
- Rule 2: Specification Table Rule
One occurrence of the table must be used in the topic. Location sequence is Fixed - must be used after the description paragraph(s).
- Rule 3: First Column Rule
The First Column rule determines that specific paragraph formatting attributes will be applied to cells in the first column. The occurrence and sequence are preset. The attributes are applied using the Table Rule Type option of First Column.
- Rule 4: Sub Heading Style Rule
Allowed style for the First Column - Sub Heading.
- Rule 5: Second Column Rule
The Second Column rule determines that specific paragraph formatting attributes will be applied to cells in the last column. The occurrence and sequence are preset. The attributes are applied using the Table Rule Type option of Last Column.
- Rule 6: Table Body Text Style Rule
Allowed style for the Second Column - Table Body Text.
- Rule 7: Closing Paragraph Rule
Allow an additional paragraph - the paragraph is optional, but a maximum of one occurrence can be used. Location sequence is Fixed - if used it must be added after the table. Allowed style - Body Text.
Based on the structure and content rules you could create any of the following topics to display product specifications.
- A topic with one to three description paragraphs, a table with the specifications, and one closing paragraph.
- A topic with one to three description paragraphs, a table with the specifications, but no closing paragraph.