For a lot of our publishing processes, we need dedicated software:
- PDF ProCSS uses Antennahouse and Ghostscript
- Powerpoint via PDF uses SolidFramework
- Honeycomb web based training output uses Honeycomb
In a multi-user environment without terminal server usage, we cannot expect that every user has this software locally installed. Also from a maintenance perspective, this is something that should be avoided.
The solution is to install this software in a central location, e.g. a dedicated publishing server. This is of course standard functionality on our cloud. For On Premises, 'Centralized Publishing' takes care of publishing.
Centralized publishing does the following:
- Queues the publishing jobs that are set for centralized publishing
- Created dedicated publishing folders for every job on a central location
- Triggers a plug-in that displays the publishing queue
- Provides feedback on the state of the publishing job
- Allows for opening the published output when the publication is ready
- Cancel a job