Sometimes you want to link directly to an external file rather than store an embedded image in the Author library. Using a linked File object also gives you the option of using a different file for each of the Print, Help, or Web output tabs.
Using this method, the new File object is created with the template set to "(none)". If you already have a "linked" template that points to the directory containing the file you want to use, you can switch to the General tab and select your template. If you have specified the Source type and Directory location in the template, these fields will be updated in the new File object, and you can bypass step 4. If you don't have a linked template, follow all of the steps.
- In the Library Explorer, select the folder where you want to store your new OLE File object.
- Open the topic where you want to insert the external file, and position the cursor.
- Click Edit > Insert > Insert OLE Object. A new File object window is opened, and the Insert OLE Object window is displayed. Choose Cancel to close the Insert OLE Object window without selecting a file. (If you browse to the file at this point, your selected file will be embedded.)
- On the output tab, choose the option for the Linked Picture File or Linked OLE Object as the Source type. Click the [...] button, and then browse to the Directory containing the file.
- Click the [...] button next to Filename, and browse to the file to which you want to link.
- Repeat steps 1 -5 for the other tabs.
- Update any other fields if necessary, and then click OK to save and close the new File object. If your topic is open, the new File object is placed at the cursor position.