In lengthy content it's common to publish to Word using linked graphics. To avoid having to ship the graphics from the publishing folder with the document, you can convert linked graphics to embedded graphics.
- Open your published Word document.
- In Word 2007: Click the Microsoft Office button and select Prepare > Edit Links to Files.
The Links window opens.
- Select all the graphics in the list on the left by pressing Shift and selecting all of the graphics.
- Make sure the "Save Picture in Document" check box is selected.
- Click the Update Now button.
- Select all the graphics in the list again.
- Click the Break Link button.
- In the prompt, click Yes.
- Save your document.
Now when you send just the Word file the graphics will be included.
For documents that are large, or have many graphics, you may still have to send the graphics separately to keep the document's file size manageable. As long as the graphics are kept in the same folder as the document, users should have no problem viewing them.