When you work in a topic, quickly insert a graphic into the topic text, and create a new File object that can be reused in other topics. The following formats are supported in Author:
- Windows bitmaps (.bmp)
- Compuserve GIF files (.gif)
- JPEG files (.jpg)
- Portable Network Graphics (.png)
- Windows Metafiles (.wmf)
- Encapsulated PostScript (.eps) - the file's "preview image" (usually a lower-resolution JPEG file) is displayed in the File object
- Scalable Vector Graphics (.svg)
- Tagged Image File Format (.tiff)
Although these image formats are supported in the Author library, you should also be aware of the image formats supported by the output to which you are publishing.
To add a new graphic to the topic:
- In the topic, place the cursor where you want to insert the graphic.
- Click Edit > Insert > Insert Picture Object.
The Select a Picture file to insert window is displayed.
- Browse to the graphic that you want to insert, select the file, and then click Open.
A new file object is created and named by using the file's name.
- Select the General tab, then select a File object template. Update any other fields, if required.
- Click OK.
The file object closes and the graphic appears in your topic.
Note: Alternatively, if you drag a graphic into a topic, Author automatically creates a File object for it when you save the topic. The file object is named by using the topic's description.