History records are stored internally inside the Author-it library, or archived in XML format to an external location. Archiving is optional, however it will help prevent the size of your library from quickly ballooning out of control.
In the History window, these icons show where the records are stored.
The object history is stored in the library (database)
The object history is stored in the archive folder
You can choose from auto settings (when all records are archived as they are created) or manual settings where you define when records should be archived.
- Archive all objects - when selected, this option will override any manual settings and archive all history records externally. You must define the path to the archive folder when using this option. The path to the folder is in the Manual Archive Settings group.
- Archive Folder - defines the location where the XML history files are created. This path should always be relative to the location of the library so all users will be able to see it.
You can still access Edit History for comparison and revert even when archived, provided that the users can access the archive folder. If you are using auto archive, then all users will need read and write permissions. If you are using manual archive, then the user performing the archive will need read and write, while all other users will only need read permissions to the archive folder.
A message displays if Author-it cannot access the folder you are using for archiving. If the archive folder moves and Author-it cannot access it, you won't be able to save topics or complete a manual archive.
Note: When working with multiple libraries, define a separate archive folder for each library.
- Keep a minimum history for each object of - defines how many histories are retained in the library before being archived. For example, if the minimum is set to 3, the three most recent histories for each object are still stored internally, and only the fourth and earlier records are archived.
- Archive before - determines a date to archive prior to. It defaults to today, so only records from yesterday and earlier would be archived. To include histories created today, set this to a future date.
- Archive Now - when using manual settings, history is only archived when you tell Author-it to do so. This must be selected each time you want to archive manually.
Important: Once history records have been archived, they are stored externally and cannot be brought back into the library. If you move your library, you will need to make sure the path to the archived files remains valid. If the files cannot be found, you won't be able to compare or revert to previous versions.