In the following sample structure, when you add child rules to a paragraph the validation is based on the way the rule is written. Slight variations in the rule attributes will make a difference in the way the content is checked. When the content rules for a topic are defined the structure rules need to be written in a way that ensures content will validate correctly.
Content or style guide rules for the topic with a list and child rules
- The topic must have at least one paragraph before the list.
- Special Bold, Emphasis, or Monospace character styles can be used in the list items. Character styles can be used more than once in a list item, but they do not have to be used.
- New and existing hyperlinks can be used in the topic. The hyperlinks should be based on the Cross Reference template. Use of hyperlinks must be optional in a list item because they may not be required.
- New and existing images or screenshots can be used in the list where necessary, but must be optional. The images should be based on the Embedded Icon, Embedded GIF or Embedded JPG templates.
- Variables for product names can be used in the topic where necessary. Again use of variables must be optional.
- Rule 1: Opening Paragraph Rule
Allow one paragraph. Location sequence is Fixed - must be used at the start of the topic. Allowed style - Body Text.
- Rule 2: Additional Paragraphs Rule
Use of additional paragraphs is optional, allow an unlimited number of additional paragraphs. Location sequence is Flexible - must be used after the opening paragraph, but the order can be swapped with the List rules. The rules can be swapped because the paragraph and list rules are both flexible and are adjacent in the structure. Allowed style - Body Text.
- Rule 3: List Rule
Allow one to ten list item paragraphs. Location sequence is Flexible - must be used after the opening paragraph, but the order can be swapped with the Additional Paragraphs rule.
- Rule 4: Character Style Rule
Use of character styles is optional, but when used there can be up to three instances of character styles in a list item. (One instance is equivalent to a block of continuously highlighted characters and/or spaces.) Location sequence is Flexible - all child rules in this list item have a Flexible sequence, so the child content can be used in any order within a list item. Allowed styles - Special Bold, Emphasis, or Monospace.
- Rule 5: File Rule
Use of images is optional, but when used there can be one instance of an image in a list item. Location sequence is Flexible - can be swapped with any of the other child rules. Allowed templates - Embedded Icon File template, Embedded GIF File template, or Embedded JPG File template.
- Rule 6: Variable Rule
Use of variables is optional, but when used there can be up to one instance of variables in a list item. Location sequence is Flexible - can be swapped with any of the other child rules. Allowed variables - <
- Rule 7: Hyperlink Rule
Use of hyperlinks is optional, but when used there can be up to two instances of hyperlinks in a list item. Location sequence is Flexible - can be swapped with any of the other child rules. Allowed templates - Cross Reference template.
The following topic enables content based on the child rules to be added to any of the list items up to the maximum number of occurrences specified. The rules are optional so the child content does not have to be added to the list items.
Changes to the child rules
The following sample structures both enforce use of one instance of each child object in every list item. In the Flexible structure the objects can be added to the list item in any order, in the Fixed structure the objects must be added in the order specified in the structure.